If there's one thing John Wayne is known for, it's his candor. Many of Duke's iconic quotes continue to define his legacy to this day. In the John Wayne Official Collector's Edition, Vol. 28, we break down some of the actor's most pertinent advice, much of it gleaned from quotes like the ones below. Read on for 10 of the best John Wayne quotes and keep an eye out for Volume 28, "Duke's Code for Life"—on newsstands April 2.
1. "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim."
—The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)
2. "Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."
—True Grit (1969)
3. "A man deserves a second chance, but keep an eye on him."
4. "If everything isn't black-and-white, I say why the hell not?"
5. "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
6. "My hope and prayer is that everyone know and love our country for what she really is and what she stands for."
7."A man ought to do what he thinks is best."
8. "Well son, since you haven't learned to respect your elders, it's time you learned to respect your betters."
—Big Jake (1971)
9. "A big mouth don't make a big man."
—The Cowboys (1972)
10. "I want to play a real man in all my films, and I define manhood simply: men should be tough, fair and courageous, never petty, never looking for a fight, but never backing down from one either."