Duke knew the family gathered around the table together shared much more than good food—they made memories, gave each other honest advice and strengthened the bonds of love through thick and thin. In The Official John Wayne 5-Ingredient Homestyle Cookbook you'll find delicious, authentic recipes you can whip up with just five or fewer ingredients, allowing you to focus on what really matters most—spending quality time with family and friends.
Here's an exclusive taste! One of our favorite recipes from the cookbook, Easy-to-Make Beef Brisket, is so simple your horse could cook it. And don't forget to order your copy for even more delicious recipes! Now available from your favorite retailers including Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Books-A-Million and Walmart.
John Wayne's Easy-to-Make Beef Brisket
Even the rustiest chef can hop back in the saddle by dishing out this brisket like nobody’s business.
- 1 (3 lb.) beef brisket, trimmed of fat
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 large white or yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 12 oz. barbecue sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 (10 oz.) can diced tomatoes and chilies, undrained
- 1 1/2 lb. small white potatoes
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine the salt and pepper in a small bowl and rub all over the brisket. Place in a baking dish. Cover the beef with the sliced onions.
- Combine the barbecue sauce, water, canned tomatoes and chilies, then pour over the beef. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 2 hours. Leave the oven on.
- Remove the foil, add the potatoes and cook uncovered for another 40 minutes to 45 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Let rest for 10 minutes, then slice the beef and return to the dish. Spoon the sauce over the beef and serve.
For more simple and hearty recipes like this, check out
The Official John Wayne 5-Ingredient Homestyle Cookbook!